Nothing is perfect, we all know that. But, frankly, it’s a lot harder to talk about “pros and cons” of artificial turf than it used to be. There just aren’t that many negatives any more. Nonetheless, here at Heavenly Greens we believe every potential customer should have all the facts before deciding if artificial grass is right for them.
Artificial grass has been used for years in athletic venues and to replace natural grass lawns at both residential and commercial properties. Fake grass is particularly well-suited for areas that experience drought conditions, because it doesn’t require watering. Anyone in Northern California can get behind that. But what else can artificial turf do for you (or not)?
- Water conservation. The state continues to tighten water restrictions. Artificial grass makes it easy to comply, dramatically reducing water usage without sacrificing aesthetic standards set by homeowners' associations. Conserving water is not only eco-friendly, it’s budget-friendly, in a big way.
- Non-toxic. No poisonous materials are used in the manufacture of artificial grass.
- Non-allergenic. Fake grass doesn’t grow. Goodbye, grass pollen. Hello enjoying your yard, no matter the season.
- No harmful chemical residues. Artificial turf requires no herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers to remain beautiful and bug-free. That’s safer for your family, and safer for the environment.
- Durability. The materials used in making artificial turf are extremely durable, able to withstand almost any type of torture. Dig-proof for dogs and varmints, exceptionally stain-resistant, fade-resistant, and it won’t fray at the edges.
- Safer surface. Natural grass can develop dips and humps that cause injuries when children (and adults and pets) trip while running and playing. The surface of fake grass is always evenly smooth. Not only that, artificial grass installed with our specialized FallSoft technology actually helps protect kids from falls as high as 5 feet.
- Return on investment. Top-quality artificial grass pays for itself in just a few years, thanks to eliminating the expense of ongoing lawn care. After that, it’s all savings. Plus, a pretty fake grass lawn boosts the resale value of your home.
Artificial turf does have a few potential drawbacks:
- Surface heat. Artificial turf holds more heat than natural grass, so it can feel warm to the touch. Some types of infill can also raise the surface temperature.
- Artificial grass does not flame up, but it can melt if something such as a hot charcoal falls on it or under intense reflected sunlight from a window. However, fake grass can be repaired.
- Odor build-up. Like natural grass, if you don’t clean up messes on artificial turf, they will fester. Certain types of infill are prone to holding odors, too.
- Toxic run-off concerns. People used to be concerned that water run-off from crumb rubber infill might be harmful to families, pets, or the environment. Years of scientific studies have shown only minimal levels of toxic residue, and today there are several alternative infill materials.
Perhaps the most important factor to keep in mind as you consider the pros and cons of artificial turf is that not all artificial grass is created equal. Not by any means. Product quality and professional installation ultimately determine how well your turf will perform and how long it will last. And superior products come with superior warranties, bringing greater peace of mind.
Whatever concerns or questions you may have, let us know. Our Heavenly Greens experts want nothing more than to help you make the right decision about artificial turf, including choosing the right product and infill. We can also explain how simple and easy it is to keep your grass fresh and clean throughout the years. We invite you to visit our San Jose showroom, where you can not only learn more about artificial grass, you can see and feel it for yourself.